Which type of boiler do I need?
How do I decide which type of boiler best suits my needs?
There are 3 different types of boiler:
- Combi boiler (or ‘combination’ boiler)
- Regular boiler (often also referred to as a ‘traditional’ or ‘conventional’ boiler)
- System boiler
Combi boilers provide heating and hot water directly from the boiler.
Regular and system boilers heat your central heating system directly and produce hot water for your cylinder.
|Requirements||Most suitable boiler|
|You want to use your loft space for a room conversion or other purpose||Combi boiler|
|You live in a flat or bungalow (i.e. have very little or no roof space)||Combi boiler|
|Your home has more than 2 bathrooms||Regular or system boiler|
|Your main water pressure is low||Regular or system boiler|
|You want to replace an old boiler to improve an existing conventional central heating system||Regular, system or combi boiler|
|You need to have hot water available on tap without waiting for it to heat up.||Combi boiler|
Which boiler you need will depend on several factors, including your property and lifestyle. It will also depend on the professional advice of a Gas Safe Register installer for gas boilers, or, an OFTEC registered installer for oil-fired boilers.
Ask a boiler installer
Find out which is the best new boiler for you by asking your local Worcester Accredited Installer.
Worcester Accredited Installers specialise in Worcester central heating boilers, can offer advice on installation prices and most can offer extended guarantees.
Please remember to discuss the following with your local installer or engineer when they visit your home:
- Have your heating and hot water needs changed since your current boiler was fitted i.e. are there more or fewer residents using the hot water? Have you added an extension or a loft conversion?
- We recommend system flushing and treatment to ensure your heating system efficiency over time - ask for more details.
- How the different controls options can give you an even more efficient heating system and save energy and money.
- What is the impact of having a new shower installed - will it work off the existing hot water system or is it electrically powered?
- How can solar water heating or heap pump technology benefit your efficiency and carbon footprint?
- What funding schemes are available i.e. Green Deal, Eco, Renewable Heat Incentive.
Our Find a Boiler search suggests the best boiler for your home.